Bicycle Citation & Safety Class FAQs
No. You are only allowed to attend a Bike Safety class once every 18 months. If another citation is issued to you within this 18 month period, you will be responsible for taking care of it through the court.
If you attend more than the one class in an 18 month period, your attendance in the class will be null and void; your citation will be sent to the court for normal processing. It will be your responsibility to take care of it through the court.
- register and attend a Bike Safety class within 30 days of your citation date; OR
- go to court on your prescribed court date and successfully present your case to the court; OR
- if mandated by the court to attend the class, provide your Letter of Completion to the court according to the instructions in your Minute Order.
If you attend a Bike Safety class within 30 days of your citation date; your citation will be dismissed by the Police Department, by approval given to them from the court. You do not need to do anything else.
If mandated to attend the class by the court, a Letter of Completion will be issued to you and you must provide this Letter of Completion to the court according to the instructions in your Minute Order.
No. If previously arranged by the court at the time of your appearance. You may be allowed to mail your Letter of Completion to the court and await your letter indicating your citation has been dismissed.
Bicycle Abatement FAQs
Without a sales receipt or license registration, you cannot make a claim that a missing bike is 'yours.' To make a claim to abandoned property is a legal issue. The bicycle abatement officer must be convinced beyond a doubt that the bike belongs to the claimant. No one may 'show up' at the bike impound lot to 'look' for their missing bike.
1. Email the Bicycle Abatement Unit (email@example.com) a complete description of the missing, unlicensed bike:
- Where and when it was last seen
- Wheel type
- Accessories (basket, bell, light, fender)
- Features to distinguish it from other bikes of its type (stickers, seat, condition, handlebars)
2. We'll contact you about scheduling an appointment during designated times to identify the bike if we find one matching your description.
Then, if found in impound,
- License the bike at Parking and Transportation
- A $40 storage fee may apply. Please pay with exact cash or check